Studio 8 moves to Scrummi Spa Towels
by Lisa Young
At Studio 8, we are becoming more aware that as human beings, as well as a business, our everyday activities is having an impact on our planet.
We all need to do our bit for the environment !
The hair & beauty industry has its part to play. It needs to become more conscious of the environment and to show the respect that our planet deserves.
At Studio 8, we are taking steps to gradually, but significantly reduce our environmental impact starting 1st with the amount of washing and towels that we go through on a daily basis.
Washing towels & other bedding has an impact on:
- The amount of water consumed.
- The chemicals used.
- The fibres released into the environment as a result of washing.
- The energy used to dry towels.
- The amount of plastic used to package washing detergent.
BUT Hygiene is paramount to both staff and client safety that cannot be compromised. We feel that we have found the right solution to not only protect the environment but to ensure that we deliver an even better and more hygienic solution for many of our treatments.
That is why we now use Scrummi Spa towels in our treatment room as well as our manicure and pedicure services wherever possible and practical. The result is that we have already reduced our washing by 70%.
What are Scrummi Towels?
Scrummi towels are a disposable yet biodegradable within 8 – 12 weeks. This is because they are made from wood pulp that has been harvested ethically and responsibly.
Facts about Scrummi Spa towels
- Scrummi Spa products start life as either eucalyptus or cedar trees in central Europe.
- There are no hidden plastics.
- No chemicals of dyes are used in the production of Scrummi towels.
- Wood is harvested from Sustainable Forestry programmes this means that 3 trees are planted in place of every single tree that is harvested.
- The yearly volume of wood regrowth is 10 million cubic metres higher than the wood quantities harvested per year to make Scrummi Towels.
- The trees are pulped and delivered to the Scrummi factories as fibres. These fibres are then turned into the Scrummi Spa waffle towels with a very economical and considered process.
- All the water used in the entire process is filtered and recycled.
- All of the plants are monitored and have strict corporate and social responsibility guides in place.
It is Scrummi’s mission to minimise the environmental impact at every stage of their product’s lifecycle. The transport environmental impact of Scrummi is that 95% is done by rail and sea, which has the lowest environmental impact of any mode of transport.
Better still – the energy used in the entire lifecycle of a Scrummi spa towel including its manufacture is less than the energy used by a washing machine to clean one single cotton towel.
We receive our deliveries from Scrummi via DPD. This also has a carbon neutral commitment with over 5 million parcels now transported on alternative energy vehicles.
Working smart & together we can all reduce the environmental impact on our beautiful planet.
This is how Studio 8 is starting to make a difference.
Find out more: https://www.scrummispa.com/news/